Google

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Women & The LARGE Sunglasses Trend

As an avid admirer of women, I've been wondering whether or not I like the haute couture of wearing large over-the-eyes-lashes-brows, sunglasses. I've come up with a simple hypothetical syllogism to deduce my reaction this new trend.

Regardless of the absolute attractiveness of a woman...

1. All women who embrace the accoutrements that negate their superficial blemishes, become more attractive to me.
2. The large stunna shades women wear these days hide, from the admirer, any flaws in the eye, bridge, under-eye, eye-brows.

Therefore, I am more attracted to women who wear the large stunna shades in question.

... Especially when they're otherwise hot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a resident of Westwood, CA--literally a three minute drive from Beverly Hills--I can vouch that, without question, the trend of stunna shades originated in West Los Angeles. While it may be a fashion statement that hot women, and the not-so-hot women who emulate them, think will make them more mysteriously attractive, a friend once told me in confidence that it can also be used to hide the tiredness in your eyes after a night of raw, illicit passion. So now you know the real reason, Guru.

Charles Feng

Charles Feng

7/21/2006 04:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, I can weigh in on this subject as a resident of the greater city of angels.

My best guess is that the big sunglasses are a throwback to styles of Jackie O'nassis, who wore large sunglasses as did many people in the 60s, only because that's how sunglasses were made, they literally needed huge glasses for some of the prescriptions. Rage against the machine has a verse that says "I want to be Jackie O'Nassis, I want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses..." but I digress.

It's more about accessories and its more about status than anything else. Women love trends, they love accessories, and they love status. Big, ostentatious, expensive, sunglasses fulfill all these purposes and also hide how really freaking ugly some of them are. Preach.

8/11/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an article about a year ago on Slate about "shades:"

http://www.slate.com/id/2122644/

Certain people are famous for keeping their eyes behind shades not for protection but to better intimidate, by cultivating an air of mystery, or for reasons purely of style.

9/02/2006 02:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home