Google

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Jon's Wedding in Yucay, Boda en Valle Segrada!

I'm at the Casona de Yucay hotel's internet lounge, this place is beautiful. It's right at the feet of many imposing sacred valley mountains which sometimes have gaps between them that reveal even taller more majestic snow capped cordillera mountains further in the distance. We just had our clothes pressed and since I woke up this morning I've picked up a pair of maroon dress shoes at the market in Urubamba (a bigger city north of Yucay) for the equivalent of $16 US, I probably should have got them for $10 but he'd asked for $20 so I don't feel too bad, yet. At the request of Jon's mother who's alergies were acting up due to smoke in the air Jon and I walked down the dusty main thoroughfare of this little town over to the compound of a local farmer who was burning a pile of wood and some crops, he invited us in and although I speak very little spanish I understood the whole conversation. They liked the quiet feel of Yucay, they'd lived in Cusco before, come back for fresh fruit on the trees if we had the chance, sure they'd put out the fire but the water didn't come back on until 9AM (it was 8:30). We offered them 10 soles for their kindness, the elderly farmer, Cecilio, kept saying I was bonito, hmm instead of guapo, and that he was very excited to see foreigners and that he loved diversity, we're all brothers he said. His wife Augusta was equally cordial and they invited us to stroll around the small compound, but we had to return to hotel.

At the pharmacia in Urubamba, I learned that you can't get pesudophederine without a prescription, you can get pretty much ANYTHING else at a Peruvian Botica... crazy international meth schemes...

The road from Cusco to Urubamba was quite smooth and the van that brought us here had great shock absorbers, very much UNLIKE my experiences on shitty inter state highways in India. More on the uncanny resemblence between Peru and India later... it's not just that there are buddhists and Hare Kirshna's here... or that Curry is a popualar dish in Cusco restaurants...

The wedding is in about an hour so I'm off to get ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home