Google

Friday, August 11, 2006

Library, Part I: It's better than Blockbuster Video

This is part one of a three part primer on your local library. Forget your college library, forget all the stereotypes about how libraries are uncool. In this new fangled, hi-tech era, libraries have become something the likes of Blockbuster, Starbucks, and the INS have never seen. I've been meaning to spread the word on this for a while now: EXPLOIT YOUR CITY'S LIBRARY RESOURCES TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT.

as a card carrying member of your local library you can typically do all these things for FREE...
  • rent 10 dvds at a time and keep them for a week.
  • place umpteen holds on dvds, books, etc. and renew and keep tabs on your checkouts online with ease.
  • if your library's in a larger network (with other cities or your whole county) you can request materials from any branch and pick them up at your convineince.
  • rip CDs (I've found the library to be one of the best ways to sample unfamiliar genres like jazz)
  • free wi-fi
  • fun events - my library recently held a "write your own comic book" class

did I also mention that you can study peacefully and get books at the library? Yes, you can do these things too.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Carlos and Mtn. View libraries are very nice. Palo Alto's is in desperate need of renovation. I think there either was a measure recently or a measure upcoming to renovate it.

I haven't seen a nice public library here in Austin yet, though there are so many of them in so few distance from each other. I think it's different because they're overshadowed by the massive University of Texas library collections, which is smack dab in the middle of the city. Unlike the Stanford library, you don't need to register to use the UT library.

8/11/2006 05:45:00 AM  
Blogger Charon said...

So not all libraries are created equal. That's very true. My experience is primarily from Palo Alto, Mt. View, Alameda County, and San Francisco.

For example I've heard that patrons are chared $1 for dvd rentals in Tracy, CA so there's definetly some leeway.

However, your UT Library finding brings up a great point, what most people don't realize is that many libraries (i.e. most of Greater Bay Area libraries of Nor-Cal) will allow ANYONE to sign up for a free library card and priveleges (unlike snooty Stanford which even cuts off alumni access like it was a bad habit). All you need to do to get that great Mt. View or San Fran card is fill out a simple form and they'll process it within 5 minutes.

8/11/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...Mountain View library has great selection, and a calm atmosphere when visited at the right times of day. I always seem to receive my "hold" items within two weeks at most! Maybe I was just lucky...

Growing up in Cupertino, I was an avid user of the Santa Clara County Library system particularly Cupertino and Saratoga library. Both libraries have undergone renovation, so they look much nicer than they used to. But, the crowds of high schoolers and noisy kids that frequent these particular libraries at every given time makes it a pain to navigate.

I think one of the greatest thing about public libraries is that they are "public." You can feel intellectual, nerdy, whatnot, without feeling confined to being a "student." And people are there for enjoyment, rather than for study. I don't think I felt that as much at the Stanford libraries, except of course at Media/Microtext at Green. :)

8/11/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, one of my favorite experiences was living <1 min. walking distance to the San Carlos library. It was on the same block as my apartment. I miss that.

8/11/2006 08:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home